The original Phantasmagoria includes 7 CD”s which are required to play each chapter of the game. There are many: trailers, demos, applications etc, included on these CD”s, which are NOT required for gameplay. The below steps will take you through the process of setting up Phantasmagoria to play directly off your Hard Drive (without the need for any CD/DVD) and without these unnecessary files.
You can then burn this folder to a DVD.
You can either perform the manual steps below to create you Phantasmagoria DVD or you can use a Custom built EXE file created by “Earthfire”.
Download the Custom built EXE from HERE.
Run the EXE and it will instruct you which CD”s to insert.
Once ALL the CD”s have been copied to the hardrive the EXE will correctly setup, Move and Delete the files for you. It will also install the v1.1 Update patch which is included in the EXE.
Manual Setup (Without using Earthfire”s EXE)
1) Create a Temp folder on your hardrive.
Name this folder: PHANT. This will be the name (Label) of our DVD.
2) Copy all the files of CD7 to the PHANT folder.
3) Copy all the files of CD6 to the same PHANT folder. Overwrite any files when prompted.
4) Copy all the files of CD5 to the same PHANT folder. Overwrite any files when prompted.
5) Copy all the files of CD4 to the same PHANT folder. Overwrite any files when prompted.
6) Copy all the files of CD3 to the same PHANT folder. Overwrite any files when prompted.
7) Copy all the files of CD2 to the same PHANT folder. Overwrite any files when prompted.
8) Copy all the files of CD1 to the same PHANT folder. Overwrite any files when prompted.
9) In the PHANT folder, Create a folder named: DATA
10) From the PHANT folder MOVE the following Folders to the DATA folder:
11) From the PHANT folder MOVE the following Files to the DATA folder:
12) From the PHANT folder DELETE the following Folders:
NOTE: The DATA folder is the only folder left in the Root of the PHANT folder!
13) From the PHANT folder DELETE any remaining files EXCEPT for the following:
14) Using the Notepad, Open the RESOURCE.WIN file and Add the following lines after midiBuffSize6=65000:
15) Download the v1.1 Update Patch from HERE and Extract the contents of the PHANTv11.rar file to the PHANT folder choosing YES to overwrite any files when prompted.
(PHANTv11.rar supplied by EarthFire)
16) Burn the PHANT folder to a DVD with the Label: PHANT
NOTE: Before burning refer to “Changing File Path from C:\PHANT” below!
To Play the game you need to COPY the PHANT folder from the DVD back to the C: (C:\PHANT)
To Start the Game simply Double-Click the SIERRAW.EXE file located in the PHANT folder.
Changing File Path from C:\PHANT
You can change the file path to one you prefer but it MUST be done BEFORE burning to DVD!
The file structure is configured in RESOURCE.WIN file and can be adjusted very easily using the Notepad.
Whatever path you change it too the game MUST be Copied back to that path and played from that path otherwise Save Game Files WILL NOT be created!
It is recommended to install Patch v1.1
Patch v1.1 resolves some game glitches including memory errors and issues with Chapter 7.
Patch v1.1 used to be available on the Official Sierra Phantasmagoria website but this file has since been removed.
Conversion by: EarthFire